Sunday, December 5, 2010

Are You There Blog? It's Me, Mir

Keeping a blog updated takes a lot of effort!  I like blogs with lots of pictures, so I want to post my own pics on this blog.  I've been in a bit of a hibernation mode (already!), thus no published posts in 3 months!  Without further ado, I'd like to share my love for Swiss Meringue Buttercream with you:

Don't you just love pretty food???
 

I finished my cake decorating class last Sunday and I am still no professional decorator.  Royal icing is supposed to be easier to work with, but if you don't make it properly, it will likely be too stiff.

My baker alter-ego experimented with different lemon cakes during the cake decorating classes (we had to bring baked cakes to 3 classes).  I discovered that Martha Stewart's cake recipes didn't work out for me.  I guess everyone has different cake preferences and her recipes turned out like dense pound cake, but I was looking for something light and fluffy.  I finally found the recipe on allrecipes.com.  My husband actually liked the Martha Stewart one, and not the fluffy chiffon cake.  Here are the cakes I decorated this fall (please lower your expecations ...):

 Moist Lemon Cake with Whipped Topping

Lemon Cake with Raspberry Filling and Almond Buttercream


Lemon Chiffon Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Vanilla Buttercream
Luckily, my husband and I didn't have to eat all these cakes by ourselves.  We invited family over for intimate dinner parties.  My husband is taking a level 1 culinary course and every Sunday, he brings home enough food for 4 people.

My upcoming baking projects will be baking 8 dozen cookies for a cookie exchange at work (but first I gotta test drive some new recipes), and cupcakes for 5 holiday parties.  I think it's time to bring back the Green Tea Cupcake.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment